Prenatal Yoga has been such a blessing during my pregnancy. We are fortunate enough to have an instructor in Athens who works with moms to be and holds a class once a week for expectant mothers. I was very early in my pregnancy when I walked into the door for the first time, but I was determined to give my body the best care possible from the beginning. As the baby grows and my body changes, I am more thankful than ever for yoga and the difference it makes for my overall health and wellness. I don’t get to attend the class every week, but I have found many great online resources for prenatal yoga. I would just make sure you attend a class to understand proper technique before taking on a practice of your own from home!
Here are five ways I have personally benefitted from yoga while pregnant:
- I get to connect with other expectant mothers at various stages in pregnancy.
- I feel strong and empowered even as my body shifts and changes.
- I get to have time to myself without any distractions (like the phone! Can I get an amen?).
- It’s equipping me with techniques to use during labor.
- And, most importantly, it helps me feel great both physically and emotionally.
If you are a mom to be, I highly recommend checking your local area for prenatal yoga classes or even exploring online resources. It has been one of the best decisions I’ve made during this pregnancy, and I think everyone (as long as your doctor gives you approval) can benefit from an hour focusing on you and baby!